Pages

12.3.14

Going to the Museum, Caran d'ache Style

Caran d'ache Supracolor & Museum Watercolour Pencils

I've always been a big fan of Faber Castell Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils, but when Alberto at Lung Sketching Scrolls talked up the Caran d'ache Museum pencils and did a comparative write up of the two brands, I searched around and with Helen's help at Askew Taylor (Raleigh, NC) I was able to get the six start up colours Caran d'ache packaged early in its release of the new line.   Askew Taylor is now carrying open stock and sets and are most user friendly on or off line.

I already had a few handfuls of the Caran d'ache Supracolor pencils I had picked up over the last few years, and compared these to each other.  Unfortunately, or forunately, depending on your point of view, I didn't have colour for colour matches.   The closest are the two yellows, #250  and #240.

These were all tested on various papers, but the image above is on Fluid Hot Press paper, in their 140#, 8 x 8 inch block bought at Brushstrokes (Lewisburg, PA) with a Holbein water brush (Jet Pens).

The left side is washed;  the right left nude.

It is unlikely that I will switch from the Albrecht Durers to the Museums, but I do think they have a very nice feel, appear to be well made as Caran d'ache always does, and have a high pigment load.   If they get more popular and other shops start to sell them in open stock I'll probably add a few colours.

Caran d'ache has an excellent pdf of their wide range of colours on line as does Bromley in the UK. 

No comments:

Post a Comment